Astonishing but true, almost 70% of drivers have purchased from the same company for four years or more, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rates with other companies. Fresno drivers could save as much as 35% every year just by comparing rates, but they don’t believe the benefits if they moved their coverage to a different company.
If you want to save money, the best way to find affordable auto insurance rates is to compare prices once a year from providers that insure vehicles in Fresno.
First, take a little time to learn about how companies set rates and the things you can change to prevent rate increases. Many risk factors that result in higher prices such as your driving record and a substandard credit score can be rectified by paying attention to minor details.
Second, request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide prices for many different companies.
Third, compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, provide notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your existing policy and submit a completed policy application and payment for your new coverage. Once the application is submitted, put the new certificate of insurance in your glove compartment.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to try to use similar deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to get rates from as many carriers as you can. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
The purpose of this post is to teach you a little about how to compare rates easily and some money-saving tips. If you have a policy now, you will definitely be able to save money using these methods. But California car owners can benefit from knowing how companies price online insurance because rates are impacted by many factors.
To find the best auto insurance quotes, there are several ways to compare prices from many auto insurance companies in California. The simplest method to find cheaper rates is to perform an online rate comparison.
Comparing price quotes online is fast and free, and it replaces the need to drive around to each insurance agency near you. The ability to get quotes online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you’re the type of person who wants the extra assistance of a local agency. However, consumers can compare online quotes but buy the policy through an agent. When quoting auto insurance, remember that comparing a wide range of rates gives you a better chance of getting more affordable insurance. Not every company provides online rate quotes, so you should also compare price quotes from them, too.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide quotes in Fresno, CA. To locate cheap auto insurance in CA, it’s highly recommended you get rates from several of them to get the most competitive price.
Lower-cost Saturn Astra insurance in Fresno
Car insurance is not inexpensive, but companies offer discounts to help bring down the price. Certain credits will be shown when you complete an application, but a few must be requested specifically in order for you to get them. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you qualify for, you may be paying too high a price.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars and trucks that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more on Astra insurance in Fresno.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you can bundle your home and auto insurance with one company you will save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Payment Discounts – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than spreading payments over time you can actually save on your bill.
- Low Mileage – Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for discounted prices on garaged vehicles.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with better prices if you take out a life insurance policy as well.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just owning your own home can help you save on car insurance because it shows financial diligence.
Please keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it’s just not the way it works. Any qualifying discounts will help lower your policy cost.
A few popular companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are shown below.
- Progressive may include discounts for online quote discount, multi-vehicle, homeowner, online signing, continuous coverage, good student, and multi-policy.
- AAA has discounts for pay-in-full, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, multi-car, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for electronic funds transfer, distant student, pay in full, good student, and mature driver.
- GEICO discounts include federal employee, anti-theft, emergency military deployment, defensive driver, five-year accident-free, membership and employees, and anti-lock brakes.
- Esurance offers premium reductions for Switch & Save, paid-in-full, Pac-12 alumni, homeowner, good student, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for safe driver, teen safety rewards, anti-theft, homeowner, accident prevention training, multi-car, and bundle discounts.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good student, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple policy, multiple autos, passive restraint, and student away at school.
When quoting, ask every insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts listed above might not be offered in Fresno. To see a list of insurance companies offering car insurance discounts in Fresno, follow this link.
Auto insurance agents can help
Some consumers prefer to go talk to an agent and doing so can bring peace of mind A good thing about comparing rates online is you may find better rates and still have an agent to talk to. Putting coverage with neighborhood agents is still important in Fresno.
After filling out this short form, your coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Fresno that provide free Fresno car insurance quotes for your business. You won’t even need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. You can get cheaper insurance rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you need to get a price quote from a particular provider, you would need to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding a good insurance company should depend on more than just a cheap quote. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- If they are an independent agency in Fresno, which companies do they recommend?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Fresno?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When buying coverage online or from an agent, there really isn’t a “perfect” insurance plan. You are unique.
For instance, these questions may help you determine whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- What are the best liability limits?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- What does medical payments coverage do?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- When should I drop full coverage on my Saturn Astra?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
What Determines Saturn Astra Insurance Premiums?
One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the things that go into determining your premiums. If you understand what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find lower rates.
- Discounts for auto and home policies – Most larger insurance companies will give a discount to customers who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, consumers should still comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Consumers may save money even if you have your coverage with different companies
- Lower premiums for vehicles with better crash test results – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Highly rated vehicles have better occupant injury protection and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company which can mean better rates for you. If your Saturn scored at minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may be receiving a better rate.
- Demanding occupation may mean higher rates – Do you have a high-stress occupation? Occupations like judges, business owners, and financial analysts generally pay higher premium rates due to intense work requirements and long work days. Other careers like actors, athletes and homemakers pay lower than average rates.
- Drive lots and pay more – The more miles you rack up on your Saturn each year the higher your rates will be. A lot of insurance companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars that have low annual miles receive lower rates than cars that get driven a lot. It’s a good idea to make sure your policy shows the right rating data. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Astra can cost quite a bit.
Insurance is not optional in California
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Saturn in Fresno, paying for insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Saturn with a loan, more than likely the lender will require that you have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your Saturn at a much higher premium rate and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your Saturn but also your financial assets. It will also cover most medical and hospital costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average driver in California is currently overpaying as much as $700 annually so it’s recommended you shop around at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
The most affordable rates come from being thorough
When shopping online for car insurance, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price and still be able to protect your assets.
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like denial of a claim, high rates after DUI convictions, policy non-renewal and unfair underwriting practices. Whatever your reason, finding a new company is easier than you think.
Cheap Saturn Astra insurance in Fresno is definitely available from both online companies and with local Fresno insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies may not have rate quotes online and many times these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
To learn more, link through to the resources below:
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit in Fresno? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Infrequent Drivers in Fresno? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Corolla in Fresno? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Safe Drivers in Fresno? (FAQ)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)