Sad but true, the vast majority of auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,390, California drivers can save about $469 each year, but they just don’t understand how easy it is to compare rates online.
The best way we recommend to get cheaper auto insurance rates is to compare prices regularly from different companies in Fresno.
- Take a little time to learn about the different coverages in a policy and the changes you can make to prevent rate increases. Many things that are responsible for high rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a substandard credit history can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate quote, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current policy. Submit a completed application and payment to the newly selected company. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the proof of insurance certificate along with your vehicle registration.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get price estimates from every insurance company. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough price selection.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide free quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Mercury Mariner insurance analysis
The premium table displayed below highlights estimates of coverage costs for Mercury Mariner models. Being more informed about how car insurance prices are determined can be useful when making decisions on which coverage to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Mariner Premier 2WD||$202||$408||$488||$28||$146||$1,272||$106|
|Mariner Hybrid 2WD||$202||$482||$574||$34||$172||$1,464||$122|
|Mariner Premier AWD||$228||$408||$488||$28||$146||$1,298||$108|
|Mariner Hybrid AWD||$228||$482||$574||$34||$172||$1,490||$124|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in specific location which can impact auto insurance rates considerably.
The information below shows how different deductible levels and can increase or decrease Mercury Mariner insurance premiums for each age group. The data is based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied.
Gender-based auto insurance rates by age
The example below illustrates the difference between Mercury Mariner auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Liability only or full coverage
The information below shows the comparison of Mercury Mariner car insurance costs with and without full coverage. The rates are based on no claims or violations, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to drop full coverage
There is no definitive guideline for eliminating comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of full coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Mercury Mariner replacement cost is $6,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, you would only receive $5,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying in excess of $500 a year for full coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Save a ton with discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so below is a list both the well known as well as the least known credits that may apply to you.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select auto insurance companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed in the military could be rewarded with lower premium rates.
- Good Grades Discount – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Senior Discount – Seniors may qualify for reduced rates.
- Fresno Homeowners Discount – Owning your own home or condo can save a few bucks because it requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Payment Method – By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Insureds who allow their auto insurance company to study vehicle usage by installing a telematics device like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
Just know that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Mercury Mariner auto insurance rates with and without policy discounts. The prices are based on a male driver, no violations or accidents, California state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, homeowner, marriage, multi-car, safe-driver, and claim-free discounts applied.
A list of auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are detailed below.
- American Family has savings for bundled insurance, TimeAway discount, good driver, air bags, accident-free, defensive driver, and good student.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include easy pay, defensive driving, good student, family plan, accident-free, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- MetLife has discounts for multi-policy, defensive driver, good student, accident-free, and good driver.
- 21st Century offers discounts for homeowners, good student, anti-lock brakes, air bags, 55 and older, and student driver.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for electronic funds transfer, switch companies, distant student, alternative fuel, homeowner, early shopping, and business and professional.
- Allstate offers discounts including early signing, new car, anti-lock brakes, resident student, economy car, eSmart discount, and 55 and retired.
When getting free Fresno auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to all companies you are considering which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts may not be available in Fresno. To view auto insurance companies with the best Mercury Mariner insurance discounts in Fresno, click this link.
Three reasons to not skimp on car insurance
Even though Fresno Mariner insurance rates can get expensive, paying for car insurance serves an important purpose.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Mariner, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Mercury at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards both your Mercury and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially when you need to use it. But the average driver in California overpays as much as $855 a year so compare rates each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
How to find a good California auto insurance company
Buying coverage from the top auto insurance provider is hard considering how many choices drivers have in California. The ranking information below could help you pick which auto insurers to look at shopping prices with.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|AAA of Southern California||91||94||97||92%||A+||94.1|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When selecting coverage online or from an agent, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether you will benefit from professional help.
- If my Mercury Mariner is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- How much liability insurance is required?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
Are insurance agents a thing of the past?
Certain consumers prefer to go talk to an agent and that can be a great decision Professional agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help file insurance claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find lower auto insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this short form, your information is sent to companies in Fresno who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. If you wish to get a rate quote from a specific car insurance provider, you just need to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a low price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?